Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Roasted Tomato Tortilla Soup

1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cut in half (about 5 medium)
2 (6 inch) Anaheim chiles (light green peppers, or I've used half a jalapeno)
7 slices of 1/4 inch thick onion (I don't use this)
2 large garlic cloves, halved
1T fresh cilantro

2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
1 diced avocado
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
Tortilla chips

Preheat broiler. Put the tomatoes cut sides down on a foil lined backing sheet. Half the chiles lengthwise, discard the seeds and membranes. Put them cut side down on the baking sheet and flatten with your hand. Place onions and garlic on the pan. Broil for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes and peppers are black and the skin is puckering. Remove and let stand until cool, then peel off the skins. This will be easy with the tomatoes, but you might need a spoon to scrape out the chile. Put the tomatoes, chile, garlic and onion in a blender with cilantro and blend.
Pour into a pan and cook for 2 minutes, then add the seasonings and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, sliced avocado, cheese, and more cilantro.

This is a really light soup, so I serve quesadillas or tacos with it, or I've also added black beans or diced cooked chicken.

No comments: