Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My food obsession

As some of you know, I love to eat - not so much cook as eat, but one has to lead to the other. The task of feeding my family lies solely on my shoulders and there are a lot of things I like about it, but the things I dislike the most are: 1. figuring out what we're going to eat and then 2. going to the grocery store to get it. Bryce makes both issues increasingly difficult because his main courses are PB&J, plain pasta or nuggets, and I also dislike taking both him and Austin to the store - for obvious reasons. I can't do much about problem #2, but for a couple years now I've had a rotating meal calendar. I have to redo it as I find new recipes and as the seasons change, but I love being able to look at my week and know what to buy and what we're eating. I plan once and enjoy it for weeks. I haven't had a decent meal calendar since Austin was born - I made one up for the winter only to discover a week later that Austin didn't appreciate my love of dairy. So for the most part my plan is dairy free with only a couple exceptions. When I started my calendar I wasn't sure it would work. Here were some of my concerns and how I resolved them.
At first I was worried a meal calendar would be very restricting - what if I found a recipe I wanted to try, or we were in the mood for something else, but if I want something else, I just make it.
Also, my sister-in-law Jennie, who I love to pieces, can't believe I cook every night. You'll notice I have no night indicated for left overs. But let me explain- we rarely have left overs. I've been cooking for 2 for 7+ years and pretty much know how much to make for us, and I don't make extra because then I'm either tempted to eat more at dinner or it goes to waste. If there are good leftovers, I usually have them for lunch.
You'll notice I have 7 meals for 6 weeks listed. But the list is grouped like, Chicken - Grill - Sandwiches - stuff with rice - Fish Etc., not by days of the week. And the 7 meals will usually last us more like 9 days because I don't cook every night, we go out or to friends or have cereal for dinner! So really this is like an 7 week calendar!
This is for main daily meals only. Breakfast and lunch are not structured like this - cereal, french toast, Krusteaz pancakes, Healthy Choice, sandwiches, salads etc. Desserts and snacks are also not included in my list.
And the last thing - I try to make balanced meals, but sometimes the salad doesn't get made, or the fruit doesn't get cut... oh well! I'd love feed back on what you do in your family, how nuts you think I am or any dairy free recipe suggestions you have! If you see something that sounds good, let me know and I'll try to get you the recipe!
WEEK 1
Artichoke Chicken, Couscous
Burgers,BBQ Beans, Fries
Mango Chicken Wrap, Fries
Teriyaki Steak, Green Beans,Rice
Sun Dried Salmon, Apples and Greens Salad, Focaccia Bread
Sun Dried Pasta, Garlic Bread, Fruit
Mediterranean Chicken, Couscous, Fruit
WEEK 2
East Indian Chicken, Rice, Smoothie
Grilled Tacos, Mexi-rice, Fruit
Chicken Satay Sammies, Salad
Bulgoli, Rice, Stir fry Peppers
Citrus Halibut, Salad, Bread
Crepes, Ham and Egg English Muffins
Penne Pasta Primavera, Muffins
WEEK 3
Sautéed Chicken with olives and Feta, Couscous
Asian Flank Steak, Rice, Stir Fry Veggies
Pesto Sandwiches, Salad
Apricot Chicken, Rice, Steamed Veggies
Kim’s Salmon, Green Beans, Breadsticks
Burritos, Refried Beans, \Chips
Chicken Magic, Fruit
WEEK 4
Honey Baked Curry Chicken, Rice
Chicken Kebabs with Pineapples and Peppers, Rice
Sonoran Salad, Breadsticks
Speedy Chicken Stirfry, Rice, Fruit
Scampi Halibut, Roasted Potatoes, Fruit
Meatballs, Rice, Fruit
Sausage, Potato and Peppers, Fruit
WEEK 5
Trinity Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Corn on the Cob
South Beach Beef Kebabs, Rice
Blue Cheese Chicken Wraps, Fries
Aztec Chicken, Rice, Chips
Western Skillet Omelet, Muffins
Fried Rice
Almond Pasta , Fruit
WEEEK 6
Tropical Zitoni, Fruit Muffins
LeeAnn’s Grilled Chicken, Fruit, Bread
Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Beans, Fruit
Kielbasa Stir Fry, Rice
Salmon Dip, Corn Bean Relish, Veggie Dippers
Pork Leschon, Fruit
Ginger Flank Steak, Rice, Sesame Soy Veggies

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am mucho impressed! Not only by getting all these recipes on your blog but for making them each night! I might just copy your meal plan and not have to worry about it again - ha! Thanks for sharing. You are an awesome cook!

Jennie said...

Sheri, I am very thankful for all of your hard work in making this calender so now I don't have to! Be sure and update and change it often.J/J It's beautiful and looks oh so delish! Oh and by the way, I love you too! You are the bomb!

Trinity said...

The Chicken Mango Wraps are a new favorite in our household! I also loved the pesto sandwiches, and I added turkey to them too with tomato on top . . . delish! Can't wait to try a few more . . . ;)